Please contact me for all of your Chicagoland real estate needs!

Eileen McAuslan, Realtor, Coldwell Banker Residential
eileen.mcauslan@cbexchange.com
(773) 467-5345

Search for property using the database that realtors use at www.homehuntchicago.com!


Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Really?

I honestly sometimes wonder about some agents. The other day I tried to show a condo. The listing agent gave me the lock box code so that I could get the key to show it (unit #2); she warned me that the lock box was sticky and I'd have to mess with it a couple of times to get the key out.

So I drive Zack to the property to show it to him and the lock box is definitely stuck. So stuck, in fact, that neither of us could get the key out even after trying for close to 5 minutes. I called the listing agent to no avail - all I got was her voicemail. There was definitely no way we were going to be able to see unit #2.

Luckily we were taking a look at another unit (unit #3) in the building so it hadn't been a complete waste of time to drive there. The listing agent for unit #3 actually met us there to let us in. I told her that I'd tried to show unit #2 and couldn't get the key out. She told me that she wasn't surprised - many people had told her that; she didn't think unit #2 had ever actually been shown because no one could get in and unit #2's agent never returns calls or has even tried to put on a new lock box. Really?? I can not believe it when I hear things like this - if that was my listing, you better believe I'd have a brand spanking new lock box on that unit before you can say the words "lazy agent". No, wait, I wouldn't even have done that - I would have personally accompanied every showing to be sure that the buyers can get in to see the unit!

Meanwhile, the poor owner for unit #2 has had his property on the market for over 200 days. And in that time, the price has been reduced and reduced and is now down to $209,000. And the worst part is, I'm sure he has no idea that his agent is not actually even showing his property.

And here's another kicker... I see photos like this all the time on listings. Really? As if in the age of digital cameras, you couldn't take the time to snap ONE MORE decent shot of the building without your finger covering the lens?

No comments: