Please contact me for all of your Chicagoland real estate needs!

Eileen McAuslan, Realtor, Coldwell Banker Residential
eileen.mcauslan@cbexchange.com
(773) 467-5345

Search for property using the database that realtors use at www.homehuntchicago.com!


Sunday, March 9, 2008

Read Me, I'm Irish

Well... it's that time of year again. In Chicago things start to get a little crazy in March. It's that time of year when we're almost over that last bump in the rollercoaster ride we call winter... spring break is just around the corner and once in a while we get a glimpse of the sun again. We are teased by a day here or there above 50 degrees, to be followed by snowfall the day after. Basketball season takes a very serious turn as March Madness begins, and most importantly we begin a 2 week celebration for a one day holiday... St. Patrick's Day.

One thing you cannot miss if you live in, around, near, or even far from Chicago is the annual South Side Irish Parade. Unfortunately - and I hate to say it - I am missing it this year. Since my job requires me to usually be working on Sundays, I unfortunately can't partake in this year's green-clad, bagpipe-playing, luck-'o-the-irish vibed, all day drink-a-thon. But I have been before so I can assure you it's well worth your while, even if you're not Irish.

You'll find the parade in Chicago's historic Beverly neighborhood. If you're going for a family outing and will be attending with the little ones, stick to the east side of the street. Head west and you're in for a rowdy ride.

The Beverly area is a unique icon in the City's landscape due to its large lot sizes, numerous single family homes, neighborhood feel, rolling hills, and of course its abundance of Irish pubs. The strong Irish-American population and heritage in the area is what has drawn the country's largest neighborhood parade.

Well, I hope you made it to the parade today, and if so, I imagine you won't be reading this post anytime today. If you're like me and were unable to go, I suggest you polish up your blarney stone and get ready to make up for all you missed next weekend when you celebrate St. Paddy's with a night (and day) on the town.

[The first photo is of my Uncle Ed Kane of the Emerald Society in the 2007 South Side Irish Parade, of course taken from the west side of the street :-) ]

No comments: